Earthing, or grounding, is a profound and simple way to reconnect with our natural harmony and rhythm of life. This is the way we are designed to live: connected, whole, in-tune.
To put it briefly, when bare feet or skin comes in contact with the earth, the body receives free electrons: these electrons are nature’s biggest antioxidants and help neutralise damaging excess free radicals that can lead to inflammation and disease. The Earth is a large and natural conductor of free electrons, as are all living things on the planet, including people. Because our body is composed of mostly of water and minerals, we are excellent conductors of electrons, providing there is direct skin contact or some other conductive channel for them to flow through.
In our modern life of always wearing shoes and being mostly inside toxic and synthetic material buildings, we have lost contact with the earth and thus have lost our biggest source of antioxidants and healing power.
BENEFITS of EARTHING:
- Reduce inflammation and improve or eliminate the symptoms of many inflammation related disease
- Reduce or eliminate chronic pain
- Improve sleep and promote deeper sleep
- Increase energy and vitality
- Lower stress and promote calmness in the body by cooling down the nervous system and lowering stress hormones
- Normalize the body’s biological rhythms providing a connection to mother nature and earth’s natural rhythm of life
- Improve blood pressure and flow
- Relieve muscle tension and headaches
- Lessen hormonal and menstrual symptoms including PMS
- Speeds healing time and can prevent bedsores
- Reduces or eliminates jet lag
- Protects the body against potentially health disturbing environmental electromagnetic fields (EMFs)
- Accelerates recovery from intense athletic activities
How earthing is done:
Swim in rivers, oceans, or lakes
Garden with bare hands
Lay or walk on the Earth for 30 or more minutes
Hug a live tree
Lean up against a live tree
Camp and sleep on the earth
Wear natural leather-soled shoes instead of synthetic rubber/plastic shoes
- Wear Earth Runner sandals for everyday life and athletic pursuits
- Convert existing shoes into earthing footwear with a DIY kit
There have been major studies done by several governmental organizations including the US National Institute of Health about the benefits of earthing and grounding. The US NIH study in particular is fascinating and confirms all the above. Check it out here.
What are grounding techniques:
Besides the above list, I personally earth, or ground, in these ways:
- I live in a house that has unfinished concrete floors
- I wear leather slippers and leather moccasins as often as I can
- I walk barefoot as much as possible
- I have a pair of Earth Runner sandals (I got the Circadian sandals because they are the most water friendly), socks, and have converted other shoes of mine using a DIY kit from Earth Runners
- I practice grounding meditations
- Yoga Nidra’s
- I host yoga classes, events, and retreats outdoors
- Paddleboard Yoga
- I bask in hot springs as often as I can and hold a yearly Hot Springs Retreat, info about it will be here when it’s happening)
Mother Earth. She is our home and she is so much more than that. We are made of her. We are her. Our disconnect from her have caused many health, psychological, and spiritual dis-eases as a result.
Here’s the getting back to our roots. Here’s to health. Let me know how it goes.